OCBC SecuritiesHomeSitemapContact Us
OCBC Investment Research
 
Wilmar: Lower S$4.78 fair value on weaker China outlook
 
Home >> Research
Wilmar: Lower S$4.78 fair value on weaker China outlook

By Carey Wong
Thu, 6 Oct 2011, 09:35:41 SGT

Wilmar International Limited’s (WIL) shares saw a massive sell-down over the past two days, likely spooked by the looming specter of a hard landing for China’s massive economy. As WIL derives 60% of its earnings from China in 1H11, any significant economic contraction would have an impact on its performance. We believe that its crushing business may be the most affected; but we are less concerned with WIL’s cooking oil business. In line with the weaker overall market, as well as the more muted outlook for China, we are reducing our valuation peg from 16x to 12x (-1 standard deviation from its 4-year mean) and when applied against its FY12F EPS, we derive a new fair value of S$4.78. Given the limited upside, we maintain our HOLD rating.

Massive sell-down in share price. Wilmar International Limited’s (WIL) shares were sold down over the past two days, likely spooked by the looming specter of a hard landing for China’s massive economy; although we note that experts remain mixed over the likelihood of such an event happening. Its share price has taken a tumble of 13% over the last two days; and it is also 36% off its 52-week high and down 21% YTD.

Looming specter of China hard landing. With the US economy looking to slide back into the doldrums and the EU debt crisis still seen as far from being resolved, investors have increasingly turned to China as the last bastion of growth. However, the latest economic numbers coming out of China are also not looking all that encouraging, with industrial production slowing for the third straight month in Aug. As China could face a more complicated environment for the rest of the year; the government expects the industrial value-added output to grow 13.5% this year. Meanwhile, we suspect the market could also be spooked by recent reports of the increase in small business failures in China, as it is unlikely that the country can escape the economic pain of its big customers.

Impact on WIL. As WIL derives 60% of its earnings from China in 1H11, any significant economic contraction would have an impact on its performance. We believe that its crushing business may be the most affected, due to the additional 12.3m tonnes of soy crushing capacity that China is reportedly adding this year to bring the country's total to some 100m tonnes1; China National Grain and Oils Information centre also expects utilization for this year to be around 55%. This suggests that there is still quite a lot of excess capacity in the industry. In addition, should consumption taper off sharply, the overall crushing margins will likely take a big hit (we incorporate a 40% chance of weaker margins in our FY12 numbers). On the other hand, we are less concerned with WIL's cooking oil business, given that raw material prices are easing and WIL has also managed to raise its ASPs by 5% in Aug.

Paring fair value to S$4.78. In line with the weaker overall market, as well as the more muted outlook for China, we are reducing our valuation peg from 16x to 12x (-1 standard deviation from its 4-year mean) and when applied against its FY12F EPS, we derive a new fair value of S$4.78. Given the limited upside, we maintain our HOLD rating.

 
Disclaimer for Research Report

This report is solely for information and general circulation only and may not be published, circulated, reproduced or distributed in whole or in part to any other person without the written consent of OCBC Investment Research Pte Ltd (“OIR” or “we”). This report should not be construed as an offer or solicitation for the subscription, purchase or sale of the securities mentioned herein or to participate in any particular trading or investment strategy. Whilst we have taken all reasonable care to ensure that the information contained in this publication is not untrue or misleading at the time of publication, we cannot guarantee its accuracy or completeness, and you should not act on it without first independently verifying its contents. Any opinion or estimate contained in this report is subject to change without notice. We have not given any consideration to and we have not made any investigation of the investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs of the recipient or any class of persons, and accordingly, no warranty whatsoever is given and no liability whatsoever is accepted for any loss arising whether directly or indirectly as a result of the recipient or any class of persons acting on such information or opinion or estimate. You may wish to seek advice from a financial adviser regarding the suitability of the securities mentioned herein, taking into consideration your investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs, before making a commitment to invest in the securities. In the event that you choose not to seek advice from a financial adviser, you should consider whether investment in securities and the securities mentioned herein is suitable for you. Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation Limited (“OCBC Bank”), Bank of Singapore Limited (“BOS”), OIR, OCBC Securities Pte Ltd (“OSPL”) and their respective connected and associated corporations together with their respective directors and officers may have or take positions in the securities mentioned in this report and may also perform or seek to perform broking and other investment or securities related services for the corporations whose securities are mentioned in this report as well as other parties generally.

The information provided herein may contain projections or other forward looking statements regarding future events or future performance of countries, assets, markets or companies. Actual events or results may differ materially. Past performance figures are not necessarily indicative of future or likely performance.

Privileged / confidential information may be contained in this document. If you are not the addressee indicated in this document (or responsible for delivery of this message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this document that do not relate to the official business of OCBC Bank, BOS, OIR, OSPL and their respective connected and associated corporations shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed..


For and on behalf of OCBC Investment Research Private Limited:

Carmen Lee
Head of Research

Co.Reg.no.:198301152E



Print  Text Size
       Download Full Report
Home | Research | Market Pulse | Technical Analysis | Strategy | ETF | IPOs | Warrants | Bonds | Sector | About Us
© Copyright 2007 - OCBC Investment Research.| All Rights Reserved | Co.Reg.no.:198301152E